Thursday, June 19, 2008

Update on the Digital Documentaries...

It seems that this final project that offered the hope of creating a canvas where my students could express all the different abilities and skills honed and acquired throughout the year, is doomed to remain incomplete!

The students lost momentum when it came time for their research outside of the classroom to begin. They rejoined the process when scriptwriting became the focus. Now that their scripts are nearly complete and ready to be executed, we are five days from the close of the school year! To their credit, they have not given up. They continue to meet with their crews and make decisions. But, I have the heartbreaking task of telling them that we have no access to the cameras and laptops with iMovie or MovieMaker to continue their processes. Sad, indeed! They wish to continue to the end but are stopped in their tracks.

Perhaps, another group will have the opportunity to complete this project.

The students have really impressed me with how thoughtful they have been in selecting supporting images, sound, and research to accomplish their primary goals. They do show greater recognition of the power of media to influence and recognition of how they have been influenced by that power. I am delighted to see that they have taken their work seriously and have become more media savvy!


Oh yeah, taking them to the BMA (Bronx Museum of Art) to look at the photography of Jamel Shabazz was eye opening! They looked as if they had never seen before, asked what they had never known to ask, found what they did not know was there inside of an image. We loved it!

1 comment:

Ms. Sharber said...

Ms. Tate --

Most people at MS219 don't know this about me, but I was a film kid in college. I spent countless hours on set making movies. I'm sad to hear that the kids won't be able to finish their projects, but if any of them are interested in film -- or any kind of media -- and its power as a communication tool, pass along my email to them. I can talk to them myself and also connect them with other people in the industry who would be happy to pen pal/mentor someone.

=)
Jen Sharber
sharberj219@gmail.com